Prashant Bhushan Contempt Case: Prashant Bhushan says in Supreme Court

Prashant Bhushan, through his lawyer Dashint Dove, demanded that the hearing on the sentencing hearing be adjourned till a decision is reached on the petition. The duo told the apex court that a review petition was yet to be filed in the case

     
                                               file photo of renowned lawyer Prashant Bhushan  

New Delhi. Leading lawyer Prashant Bhushan told the Supreme Court that he was not afraid of being convicted in a contempt of court case. He said that he did not want mercy from the court, he was ready for any punishment. Bhushan, through his lawyer Dashint Dove, demanded from the Supreme Court that the hearing on the sentencing hearing be adjourned till a decision is reached on the petition. The duo told the apex court that a review petition was yet to be filed in the case.

On this demand, the Supreme Court told Bhushan, "We can assure you that no action will be taken on the sentence until your review petition is decided." Bhushan told the court that arguments in the contempt of court proceedings against him should be heard by another bench. The apex court rejected Bhushan's demand for a hearing by another bench on sentencing.

A bench of Justice Arun Mishra said that even if the sentence is passed, it will not be enforced till the verdict on the review. On the other hand, Bhushan's lawyer said that the sky would not fall if the sentence was postponed. "My tweets were an attempt to fulfill my duties as a citizen," Bhushan said. If I had not spoken at this point in history, I would have failed in my duties. I accept any punishment.

Mentioning Father of the Nation Mahatma Gandhi, Prashant Bhushan said. "I'm not begging for mercy. I do not appeal for mercy. I gladly accept whatever punishment the court gives me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Congress spokesperson Rajiv Tyagi dies of heart attack